What is an EV?
EV stands for an Electric Vehicle, but there are a few different types: Fully electric vehicles are Fuel Cell (FCEV) and Battery Electric (BEV) Vehicles which can travel between 70 – 330 miles depending on the make and model. Then, there are Plug-in Hybrids which can travel up to 40 miles on electric (dependent on model) but also contains a gas engine to run when the battery is depleted. These vehicles have significantly lower emissions than gas engines and can require lower maintenance cost too! Check out the Department of Energy Fuel Calculator to compare fuel and emissions.
- BEV Battery Electric Vehicle (all electric)
- PHEV+ Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (>10 kW)
- PHEV Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle (<10kW)
- FCEV Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle (hydrogen fuel cell)
- ZEM Zero Emission Motorcycle
How to Charge my EV: Homeowners with an electric vehicle typically install a vehicle charging station. A standard household outlet can work but it takes longer to charge the battery. There are three levels of charging an EV.
- AC Level 1- 120V 2-5 miles per 1 hour of charging
- AC Level 2 – 240V 10-20 miles per 1 hour of charging
- DC Fast Charge – 480V 60-80 miles per 20 minutes of charging.
It is recommended to install a smart charger and for best practices, schedule or charge your EV overnight; to reduce the electric load on the grid. For more information on charging, click here
There are many charging stations that can be found while you are out on the road. Most EVs will have a map of where you can charge if you are traveling. Visit PlugShare to locate public charging stations and to learn what style, rate, and network they have.
Rebates and Incentives:
- Federal Tax Credit: $2,500 – $7,500 (depending on battery capacity)
- State Rebate (MOR-EV): $1,000 – $2,500 (depending on vehicle type)
- MA Energy Alliance Drive Green Program: amount varies widely on dealership and vehicle type.
LELD is in the beginning stages of implementing a possible EV program. Register your EV with LELDs Green Rewards for future programs or incentives!